Physarium globuliferum ?

The more detail the better.
MaxRum

Physarium globuliferum ?

Post by MaxRum » Mon Jul 10, 2017 4:05 pm

Hi, I am determining a Physarium growing on carob leaves and fruit. The sporocarps have a lime-covered white stipe with a distinct constriction at the apex, sporocarp 0.5 x 0.7mm, subglobular or more often compressed longitudinally, peridium with amorphous lime scales, spore mass chocolate brown, columella absent (?), capillitium reticulate and anastomosing with few rounded-elongate lime nodes, spores subglobular to globular, medium brown under light microscope, 8.3-10um (mean 9.2um) spinulose, arranged mostly uniformly (no aggregations).

I have shortlisted Physarium compressum but this has much unregular or reniform sporocarps and P. globuliferum which I think is the species in question. I only have one mismatching character, the absence of a columella which seems to be present but short and stout for this species.

The website below makes reference to the constriction of the apical part of the stipe which was obvious in my specimen.
https://www.disjunctnaturalists.com/sli ... g/log3.htm

Would love a confirmation or other suggestions.
Attachments
IMG_5907s.jpg
IMG_5881s.jpg
IMG_5874s.jpg
IMG_5872s.jpg
IMG_0913s.jpg
IMG_0910s.jpg

MaxRum

Re: Physarium globuliferum ?

Post by MaxRum » Tue Jul 11, 2017 12:38 am

Here are some more images.

In the meantime, I have a tie for this finding between Physarum globuliferum and P. leucophaeum. The former species should have a more persistent capillitium and a short conical columella which I missed to observe in my specimens, while P. leucophaeum should have a pale yellow - ochraceous stipe sometimes dusted with lime deposits but my specimen had a thick coating favouring globuliferum. The robust stout stipe matches better P. leuciphaem while the presence of the plasmodium is a plus for P. globuliferum. Can't decide which?!! How are the two species easily distinguished ? I

Specimen found on fallen leaves and legumes of Ceratonia siliqua (carob tree).
Attachments
IMG_5963s.jpg
IMG_5961s.jpg
IMG_5957s.jpg
IMG_5951s.jpg
IMG_5949s.jpg
IMG_5907s.jpg

Sarah

Post by Sarah » Wed Jul 12, 2017 3:55 am

I'm not familiar with P. leucophaeum but your photos resemble the one in Poulain et al and it matches the description in that text.

P. globuliferum has a stem that is constricted at the base.
In Stephenson's Myxos of NZ, the text states that 'the species [P. globuliferm]can usually be identified by the combination of the calcareous stalk, conical columella and dense capillitium that retains its shape after dehiscence.
A colour plate of my collection is on the disjunctnaturalist site:

https://www.disjunctnaturalists.com/myx ... m-0601.pdf

MaxRum

Post by MaxRum » Thu Jul 13, 2017 7:23 am

Thank you Sarah. I agree with your conclusions too. I got it wrong that the stipe is constricted at the apex (maybe from this site: http://www.hiddenforest.co.nz/slime/fam ... hysa07.htm) and that from the cited keys where P. leuco. was under the section Physarum without lime on the stipe.