How to box myxos to send or for your collection

John
Site Admin

How to box myxos to send or for your collection

Post by John » Wed Jun 28, 2017 6:24 pm

What you need: a matchbox, some card and glue (UHU or similar is best).

A well-dried specimen (warm room temp for a few days is usually sufficient for drying small specimens).

1. Cut a piece of card slightly longer than the match box base and fold the end up slightly, to make a tray which fits snugly in the box.
2. Add a few drops of glue to the centre of the cardboard tray and position the leaf or piece of dried wood in the centre.
3. Place the tray in the matchbox and label with details (date, location, collector, species, etc)

They can be stored in this state for decades if kept free from insects and mould. To send by post, pack inside another container with bubble wrap or similar.
how_to_pack_a_myxo1.JPG
how_to_pack_a_myxo2.JPG

Sarah

Re: How to box myxos to send or for your collection

Post by Sarah » Wed Jun 28, 2017 10:58 pm

John - perhaps you should include information about obtaining permits?
In Australia I need to have a permit from the relevant body if I collect from public land. (I usually collect from my own property in which case a permit is not required.)

There's a typo in point 2 (leaf OR piece of dried wood).

Suggest placing specimens in a freezer to kill invertebrates and their eggs. (The herbarium in Melbourne place specimens in a freezer for two weeks before adding them to their collection. )

Also, I sent a large Tubifera dudkae to the herbarium a few months ago. Unfortunately the spores 'infected' all other collections in my package (now referred to at the herbarium as "Sporageddon"!). They suggest that in future all larger specimens should be placed in a small plastic zip-lock bag. This is their recommendation for transporting large puff ball fungi.

John
Site Admin

Re: How to box myxos to send or for your collection

Post by John » Thu Jun 29, 2017 9:15 am

Thanks Sarah. Typo corrected.

Good point regarding freezer.

Permits are not necessary for public collection in the UK as far as I know (with the exception of SSSI*). Land owner permission would be needed for private sites.

*SSSI = Site of Scientific Interest